Thursday, February 22, 2007

Nitrogen-Filled Tires


Two days ago, I changed my tires. When I changed them, I fell into what I thought was an up-sell trap - filling my tires with nitrogen. The sales guy really tugged on the right strings for me - fuel economy savings. Well, I bit - it's so aggravating being put in a position to make a decision with little knowledge of the benefits. Usually, I'd walk away and I really should of.

So, now I'm obsessed on determining whether I made the right choice. It cost $34.20 after tax to fill up with nitrogen on all four tires. I've found one site that, though biased (they promote use of nitrogen in tires), calculated a saving of $60 per year for gas mileage and tire wear savings, so roughly $25 saved this year and $60 per subsequent year (refills were included).

Not bad, but it needs more investigation. I'll test out the mileage in a few weeks to determine whether this actually has an effect. Stay tuned.